While other types of LED grow lights have been on the market for some time, Chip On Boar, a COB LED grow light, is a new development offering several advantages over other grow lights. Let’s examine why cob LED grow lights are becoming so popular among indoor gardeners. This article will examine COB LED’s improved electrical efficiency, light distribution, thermal performance, and other key benefits.
Overview of the best COB LED grow light
Best Overall (Best Budget)
Wills 1000W COB LED Grow Light
- Light Source: LED (58 LEDs & 2 COBs)
- Full Spectrum
- Dual Switch Dual Chips
- 3 Lighting Modes
AGLEX COB LED Grow Light
- Light Source: HPS, LED
- Upgraded Spectrum
- Veg Bloom Switch
- Strong Cooling System
DR.BIGG Full Spectrum Cree COB Grow Light
- Light Source: HPS, LED
- Veg and Bloom Dual Switch
- CREE COB 5000K & 600nm
What is COB LED grow lights?
COB LED growth lights are a type of LED specifically designed to be used as a grow light. COB LEDs use multiple small LEDs, or “chips,” in a single module, which allows them to produce brighter and more uniform light than traditional LED grow lights. When a COB LED package is energized, the light is emitted in a specific direction, making COB LEDs an ideal choice for indoor gardens requiring optimal coverage.
What is COB LED grow lights used for?
COB LED grow lights have become popular among indoor gardeners, who use these powerful and efficient lights to grow a wide range of plants. COB LEDs are known for producing high-quality light perfectly suited for photosynthesis while offering excellent thermal performance, and improved lifespan compared to other grow lights. Additionally, COB LEDs are a great choice for gardeners looking to replace their traditional HID bulbs without losing any light intensity.
What are the benefits of COB LED grow lights?
COB LED grow lights are popular among indoor gardeners for their many benefits. Some of the key advantages of COB LED grow lights include the following:
Greater electrical efficiency: COB LED grow lights are highly efficient, using less power than other types of LED grow lights while producing a similar amount of light. This allows COB LEDs to save energy, reduce costs, and minimize their environmental impact.
Improved light distribution: COB LED grow lights have excellent directional control, which means they can be used in various indoor growing applications without losing light intensity or quality. This makes COB LEDs ideal for growers who need to cover large areas or multiple plants with a single light source.
Replacement of HID bulbs: Up until now, most indoor gardeners have relied on traditional HID bulbs to power their grow lights. COB LED grow lights offer a more efficient and longer-lasting alternative to HID bulbs, while still delivering the same high-quality light needed for optimal plant growth. This makes COB LEDs an excellent choice for growers looking to upgrade their existing lighting systems with more efficient alternatives.
Improved Spectrum: COB LED grow lights are designed to produce a more uniform light spectrum ideal for photosynthesis and other plant growth processes. COB LEDs are also known for their ability to deliver the optimal wavelengths of light, depending on the type of plants being grown.
Superior thermal performance: COB LEDs are designed with excellent heat dissipation in mind, allowing them to stay cool and last longer than other types of LED grow lights. This makes COB LEDs ideal for growers concerned about overheating plants during the growing process.
Improved Lifespan: COB LED grow lights tend to have a longer lifespan than other types of LED grow lights, which means that growers can get more value for their investment over time. This makes COB LEDs a good choice for growers looking for a long-term solution to their indoor gardening needs.
3. How can I choose the best COB LED grow lights for my needs?
There are a few key factors to consider when choosing COB LED grow lights for your indoor garden or grow room. Some of these considerations include the following:
Size and shape of your growing area: COB LEDs are typically larger than other types of LED grow lights, so you must ensure they are the right fit for your space. COB LEDs also tend to have a rectangular or square shape, which may be best suited for certain indoor gardens.
Budget and lighting requirements: COB LEDs typically cost more than other types of LED grow lights, so you must consider your budget when deciding on the right COB LEDs for your needs. Additionally, you will need to consider the lighting requirements of your plants and determine how much light is needed to achieve optimal growth.
Quality and brand: COB LED grow lights are available from a wide range of brands, each with its unique features and benefits. Choosing the right COB LEDs will require you to research different brands to find the right combination of quality, performance, and value for your needs.
Additional features and customization options: Many COB LED grow lights offer additional features, such as adjustable lighting spectrums or remote control capabilities. If you are looking for a more customizable lighting solution for your indoor garden, then COB LEDs may be the right choice.
User reviews and recommendations: Finally, gathering feedback from other growers who have used COB LED grow lights in their gardens is always a good idea. This can help you better understand the pros and cons of COB LEDs and any potential issues you may encounter when using these lighting systems.
The best COB LED grow lights review
Here are the best COB LED grow lights available in the market:
1. Wills 1000w COB LED grow light (best overall/best budget)
- LED Power: 1000W
- LED Type: 58 LEDs + 2 COBs
- Actual Power: 230 watt ±3%
- PPFD: 1632 umol/m2s
- Dimensions: 15.75×2.36×10.24 inches
- Core Coverage: 3.4х3.1 ft
- Lifespan: 50,000hours
- Input: AC 100-265V, 50-60Hz
- This light bulb saves energy with a power of only 230 watts. The best hanging height is 24 inches, and the core coverage area is 40 by 40 feet (3.3 x 3.3 ft). However, this light bulb’s maximum coverage area is 42 by 42 feet (3.5 x 3.5 ft).
- Compared to HPS HID and MH lights, this one is more scientifically designed and efficient- if you’re looking for an all-purpose light, this is the convenient choice!
- This COB LED lamp uses a full spectrum design bead, with additional light beads in various bands to ensure a scientific full spectrum. It contains 2pcs COB, 40pcs 630-660nm, 8pcs 460nm,4pcs 6000k, 4pc 3000K, and 2 IR beams.
- These COB grow lights have two built-in high-speed fans for better cooling and lower noise. The metal housing with vents helps dissipate heat, keeping the light cool and extending its lifespan.
- This package includes the following items: 1x 1000w cob led grow light; 1x plugs power cord; 1x thermometer; 1xs adjustable rope and, 1x stainless steel hanging hook kits
2. Aglex 3000w COB LED grow light (premium)
- New COB technology
- Veg/Bloom switch
- Ideal full spectrum
- Strong cooling system
- LED Qty: 154PCS
- LED Color: Blue Light, Warm White, Red Light,IR
- Actual Power: 600W
- PPE: 2.8 umol/j
- Input: AC110-130V 50-60HZ
- Lifespan: >50000 Hours
- Dimensions: 21.26″ X 17.72m x2.17″l 54cm X 45cm X 5.5cm
- This COB LED grow light 3000W has 3 developed 3400K COBs for more efficacy and optimal growth.
- They have added more light beads of different bandwidths to cover the full spectrum. This 3000w grow light COB contains 3 3400K COBs, 3 6500K COBs, 20 650-660nm bands, 85 620-630nm bands，5 460nm bands，30 3000k, 4 UV, and four pieces IR. The design of the integrated bead is such that the LED COB itself is a full-spectrum lamp.
- The LED light has an extremely high PPFD, which measures how much photosynthetic photon flux density there is in an area. The higher the value, the better it is for plants. 3000w cob grow lights are bright and more efficient than traditional LEDs, and gives better results.
- This grow lamp is 3000 watts but only consumes 600 watts- saving you energy. It also creates more light than HPS HID and MH lights making it more efficient. The ideal hang height for this lamp is 24 inches, with a core coverage area of 55×60 inches. This light can be used for both herb/veg/bloom plants meaning it will save you time having to switch out bulbs
3. Dr. Bigg full spectrum Cree COB LED grow light (best warranty)
- LED: Cree COB white 5000K, Samsung LM301B 3000K and red 660nm
- Beam Angle: switchable between 90° lens and 120° reflector
- Dimensions: 19.68 X 7.87 X 2.56 inches
- Input Voltage: AC 100-240V
- Frequency: 50-60Hz
- Veg and bloom dual channel.
- Top-bin Samsung LM301B and Cree СОВ.
- Balanced design with COB and SMD technology.
- Sunlike full spectrum.
- The CREE COB 5000K Cold White light is great for plants in the vegetative stage, while the Samsung LM301B 3000K Warm White and 660nm Red light help with flowering and fruiting.
- The intensity of the light is adjustable with this product, allowing you to change it based on what stage your plants are in. For example, the flat lens is for the vegetative stages, including seedling and clone growth, while the 90 degrees optic lens is better for the bloom and fruiting stages. Additionally, COB lenses increase PAR (PPFD) by up to 50%.
- This reflector is unique and highly efficient, increasing PAR (PPFD) output and canopy penetration by up to 150%. This results in a more uniform footprint.
- Recommended for vegetative growth in a 4’x4.5’ area and flowering in a 4’x3′ space, this light is Energy Saving: it’s equivalent to 2000W HPS/MH grow lights but uses only 220W.
- Comes with 30-day satisfaction or return policy.
How do you install COB LED grow lights in your garden or greenhouse?
Installing COB LEDs in your garden or greenhouse typically involves hanging the lights at a specific height and configuring them to deliver the right amount of light to your plants. Depending on the size and shape of your growing area, you may also need to adjust the positioning of COB LED grow lights to achieve optimal coverage. In some cases, COB LED grow lights may also require additional grow light accessories, such as cooling fans or mounting brackets, to ensure proper performance.
Download our complete guide to choose the best grow lights for indoor plants
To install COB LED grow lights in your garden or greenhouse, you will need to consult the user manual that comes with your specific model of COB LEDs. This will typically include detailed instructions on how to hang and set up your COB LEDs and information on any additional accessories that may be required. Additionally, you will want to consult an experienced indoor gardener or lighting specialist for more guidance and advice on installing COB LEDs in your garden or greenhouse.
What results can you expect from COB LED grow lights in your garden or greenhouse?
The results you can expect from COB LED grow lights will depend on several factors, including the size and shape of your growing area, the specific type and quality of COB LEDs you use, and your lighting requirements for optimal plant growth. Generally speaking, COB LEDs tend to produce higher yields and better-quality plants than other types of LED grow lights, and they may also be more energy-efficient and cost-effective in the long run. However, it is important to always do your research and consult experienced growers when choosing COB LEDs for your garden or greenhouse, as there may be certain factors that can affect the results you see from COB LEDs in your indoor growing space.
DIY COB LED grow light
To DIY your own COB LED grow lights, you will need to research the different types and brands of COB LEDs available and any additional accessories or components that may be required. Here are the basic steps involved in creating your own COB LED grow lights:
1. Choose the COB LEDs that will best meet your lighting needs for your indoor garden or greenhouse. Consider factors such as the size and shape of your growing area, the level of light needed for optimal plant growth, and any special features or customization options you may need.
2. Purchase the COB LEDs and any additional components or accessories required for your COB LED grow lights. This may include cooling fans, mounting brackets, wiring, and more, depending on the specific model of COB LEDs you choose.
3. Follow the installation instructions with your COB LEDs to hang and set up your COB LEDs in your garden or greenhouse. Make sure to consult an experienced indoor gardener or lighting specialist for guidance during this process, as there may be factors that can affect the performance of COB LED grow lights in your growing space.
4. Monitor and adjust the COB LED grow lights to ensure optimal performance and plant growth. This may include adjusting the height, positioning, or spectrum of your COB LEDs and keeping a close eye on plant health and yields to ensure that you achieve the best possible results from your COB LED grow lights.
5. Maintain and care for your COB LED grow lights over time to ensure they function properly and produce optimal results in your garden or greenhouse. This may include cleaning, repairing, or replacing COB LEDs as needed and taking steps to improve their energy efficiency and minimize heat. With proper maintenance and care, COB LED grow lights can provide years of reliable and high-quality performance in your indoor growing space.
6. Repeat these steps to continue growing healthy, vibrant plants in your garden or greenhouse using COB LEDs. Whether you are a beginner gardener or an experienced indoor grower, COB LED grow lights can be an excellent choice for cultivating a wide range of plants and crops in any indoor growing space.
COB LEDs vs. HPS
COB LEDs and HPS grow lights are commonly used in indoor gardens and greenhouses. COB LEDs are more energy-efficient and produce higher-quality plants than HPS, making them a popular choice for many growers. However, HPS may be more suitable for certain growing conditions or applications than COB LEDs, so it is important to consider your needs when choosing between these two types of grow lights. Additionally, COB LEDs may require additional accessories, such as cooling fans or mounting brackets, to function properly in your garden or greenhouse. Ultimately, the best way to decide whether COB LEDs or HPS are right for your growing space is to compare the pros and cons of each grow light and consult with experienced growers for further guidance and advice.
COB LEDs vs. MH
One key advantage of COB LEDs over MH is improved electrical efficiency. COB LEDs can convert a higher percentage of the energy they receive into usable light, resulting in lower operating costs and more savings for growers. COB LEDs also have a longer lifespan than MH grow lights, typically lasting 2-3 times as long, reducing maintenance and replacement costs.
Another benefit of COB LEDs is that they produce a more uniform light distribution, which means that plants are exposed to light evenly and consistently throughout the growth cycle. This leads to better plant health and development and improves yields by promoting faster growth rates and increasing yield quality.
A final benefit of COB LEDs is their superior thermal performance compared to MH bulbs. COB LEDs are designed with innovative heat dissipation technologies that allow them to operate at much lower temperatures, resulting in reduced risk of plant damage from overheating and improved light output over time.
Overall, COB LEDs are a superior choice for growers looking to maximize crop yields and quality while minimizing operating costs. Whether you’re looking for the best COB LEDs on the market or want to try your hand at building your own COB LEDs, offer many benefits that make them an excellent choice for any grower.
COB LEDs vs. CMH
COB LEDs and CMH bulbs, also known as ceramic metal halide bulbs, are two popular choices that offer a range of benefits. While COB LEDs are typically more energy-efficient, durable, and high quality, CMH bulbs offer greater light output and spectrum control. Ultimately, choosing COB LEDs and CMH bulbs will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
One of the main advantages of COB LED grow lights is their improved electrical efficiency. Compared to other types of indoor lighting, such as HPS or MH bulbs, COB LEDs are far more energy-efficient and can help reduce your monthly electricity costs. COB LEDs are also known for their superior lifespan, typically lasting longer than other grow lights due to their robust construction and high-quality components.
Another key advantage of COB LEDs is their superior light quality. COB LEDs produce consistently high-quality light that can be tuned to meet the specific needs of your indoor plants. In contrast, CMH bulbs produce a slightly cooler light and cannot provide as much spectrum control.
While COB LED grow lights offer many benefits over other grow lights, such as CMH bulbs, there may be situations where a CMH bulb may be a better choice. For example, if you are looking for particularly high light output or need more control over the spectrum of your grow lights, CMH bulbs may be a better option. When choosing between COB LEDs and CMH bulbs, it is important to carefully consider your specific needs and preferences to make the right choice for your indoor garden.
COB LEDs vs. CFL
COB LEDs have many benefits over traditional CFLs. Compared to CFLs, COB LEDs offer improved electrical efficiency, better light distribution, superior thermal performance, and longer lifespan. Additionally, COB LEDs can replace HID bulbs without any light intensity or quality loss.
One of the main advantages of COB LEDs over CFLs is their superior electrical efficiency. While CFL bulbs can only achieve ~65 lumens per watt, COB LEDs can achieve up to 150 lumens per watt, resulting in significantly more light output for the same amount of energy.
Another advantage of COB LEDs compared to CFLs is their superior light distribution. COB LEDs emit a more uniform and concentrated beam of light, making them ideal for use in large grow tents or greenhouses where CFLs may not provide adequate coverage. Additionally, COB LEDs have much better thermal performance than CFLs, which means they are less likely to overheat during extended periods of use.
Finally, COB LEDs have a longer lifespan than CFLs, which means they can be used for significantly longer periods without needing to be replaced. Overall, COB LEDs offer significant advantages over CFLs and are ideal for indoor growing applications.
COB LEDs vs. Other LEDs
COB LEDs are a popular choice for grow lights due to their many advantages over other LED grow lights. COB LEDs typically offer improved electrical efficiency, better light quality, longer lifespans, and superior thermal performance than other types of LEDs. Additionally, COB LEDs feature better light distribution than other types of LED grow lights, allowing for replacing HID bulbs without any loss of light intensity.
Compared to other types of LEDs, COB LEDs are also generally considered the best option due to their superior light output, high reliability, and low cost. For growers looking for an affordable and effective way to maximize yields in their grow operations, COB LEDs are an excellent choice. COB LEDs are available in a wide range of different models and sizes, so it is easy to find one that meets the specific needs of your grow setup.
Are COB LED grow lights better than other types of grow lights?
There is much debate among indoor gardeners about whether COB LED grow lights are better than other grow lights, such as HPS, MH, and CMH. However, COB LEDs have several key advantages that make them a clear winner regarding lighting quality, light distribution, and energy efficiency. COB LED grow lights are more efficient than other grow lights because they produce less heat and use only a fraction of the power to deliver the same light. COB LEDs also produce a more uniform and high-quality spectrum, which makes them ideal for photosynthesis. Finally, COB LED grow lights offer better thermal performance than other types of grow lights, which helps to improve their lifespan and reduce the risk of overheating your plants. Overall, COB LEDs are considered the best option for indoor gardening and are widely recommended by experienced growers and lighting specialists.
How does COB LED grow lights compare to other LED grow lights?
There are various LED grow lights on the market today, each with its pros and cons. COB LEDs have several key advantages over other LED grow lights, such as HPS, MH, and CMH. COB LEDs are significantly more efficient than other LED grow lights, using less power to deliver high-quality light to your plants. COB LEDs also offer better light distribution and spectrum quality, which makes them ideal for photosynthesis and optimal plant growth. In addition, COB LEDs tend to last longer than other types of LED grow lights and are less likely to overheat or burn out due to heat issues. Overall, COB LEDs are the highest-rated LED grow lights and are an excellent choice for indoor gardening.
How do I choose COB LED grow lights?
When choosing COB LED grow lights, there are several factors to remember. The most important consideration is the size of your growing area, as you will need COB LEDs with a high enough wattage to cover your entire space. COB LED grow lights are most effective when used in a uniform, 360-degree configuration, so you must consider this when choosing the right COB LEDs for your garden or greenhouse. You will also want to consider the quality and spectrum of COB LEDs and the future price and availability of replacement COB LEDs.
Learn everything about hydroponics, from the basics to advanced techniques.