A raised garden bed is essentially a big and enclosed elevated planting container to grow your plants. They are kept several inches above ground level. These beds help make your gardening more efficient and convenient. In this blog post, we will review and compare the top 5 raised garden beds on the market to help you choose the best-raised garden bed for your backyard.
Overview of the best raised garden bed
Galvanized Raised Bed
- Material: Galvanized steel, Metal, Steel
- Color: Galvanized
- Size: 6x3x1ft Or 8x4x1ft
- Floor Standing
- Open bottom
Mobile Elevated Wood Planter
- Material: Wood
- Color: Beige
- Size: 48x24x32-inch
- Shape: Rectangular
- Mounting Type: Floor Standing And Mobile
- Weight Capacity: 100 lbs.
King Bird Raised Garden Bed
- Material: Galvanized steel, Metal
- Color: Jade Green
- Size: 68″x 36″x 12″
- Shape: Rectangular
- Mounting Type: Floor Standing
- Item Weight: 16.1 lbs
What Are Some Advantages Of Raised Garden Bed?
Before we dig into products, let’s examine some advantages of raised garden beds.
- A raised garden bed provides drainage so your plants don’t get their feet wet.
- The enclosed space and elevated design make it harder for pests to reach, making this garden ideal for those with little gardening experience.
- If your yard is little or sloping, raised beds are a fantastic alternative since they may be expanded to suit any space.
- Gardeners can build raised bed gardens from anything-wood, brick, stone, plastic, almost any material will do! The main thing is that they are raised off the ground to drain water.
- And lastly, raised beds help to maintain a more organized look in your backyard.
Things To Consider Before Buying Raised Garden Bed
A raised garden bed can be an excellent addition to your backyard. It will make gardening so much easier and more convenient! However, there are some drawbacks that potential buyers should consider before making a purchase.
- It can become costly if customized or made from costly materials
- Difficult to find raised beds that are aesthetically pleasing or made for smaller spaces
- Some raised beds may not be suitable for areas with harsh winters, depending on the material used.
Download our complete guide to making a greenhouse. Everything you need is here!
Top 5 Best Raised Garden Bed Review
Here are the top 5 raised garden beds available on the market.
1. Foyuee Galvanized Raised Garden Bed (Best Overall)
- It is made of a galvanized metal strengthened crossbar with an anti-rust coating.
- The open-button system sits on the ground garden bed and provides good drainage.
- Keep weeds away from the soil, defense against pests, and protect your plants.
- Bottomless design; plants don’t touch the metal, and the eco-friendly coating does not contaminate the soil.
- Safe for plants and humans
- Provide ample growing space to raise vegetables, herbs, flowers, and plants.
- It provides good drainage, keeps weeds away from soil & defense against pests.
- Durable and sturdy.
- It takes a bit of time to set up.
- It is pretty thin, but that does make it easier to work with.
2. Mobile Elevated Wood Planter (Premium)
- It is built with locking wheels to move the planter from place to place and capture the right amounts of sun and shade.
- Allows excess water to drain out, which helps to prevent root rotting and oversaturation while keeping the soil fresh.
- It stands 32 inches tall, making it perfect for those who struggle to bend down or lean over while gardening.
- Garden bed lines help separate wood from the soil, keeping planters in good condition and preventing pests and weeds from affecting the plants.
- Comes with a built-in storage shelf for garden accessories.
- Overall Dimensions is 48″(L) x 23.25″(W) x 32″(H).
- It has wheels, making it super easy to move around to protect from rain, sun, etc.
- Steps are easy to assemble but take a lot of time.
- The caster wheels are too small to move a box of dirt on the ground but perfectly on a smooth surface.
3. King Bird Raised Garden Bed (Best Value)
- Extra-thick 2-Ply reinforcement. The double card frames on the two sides of the sheet make the garden bed more durable and stable.
- Upgraded multilayer galvanized paint efficiently prevents rust.
- Two pairs of gloves are provided to give you more convenience in installing and comfort when working in the garden.
- It has 8pcs T-type tags to help you label and record plant growth details.
- This raised garden bed combines the vertical stripe and the cardholder design, which improves the stability of the raised bed, and makes it look more textured and beautiful.
- Multilayer galvanized paint efficiently prevents rusting, so it is more durable.
- It comes with label tags and two pairs of gloves.
- Installation may take some time.
- Be sure to use the included gloves during installation to protect yourself from cuts, as metal is very sharp.
4. Apipi Raised Garden Planter Fabric Bed
- This plastic planting garden bed has four divided grids, 11.8″ (L)*11.8″ (W)*9.8″ (H) for each grid. The drain holes on the bottom help with proper drainage.
- Made of polypropylene, eco-friendly, waterproof, and heat and cold resisting (-94℉ – 320℉).
- This raised garden bed is suitable for seedlings’ growth.
- The square-cube planters can be placed on any flat surface, rooftop, patio, urban garden, concrete, etc.
- It is easy to use. Just unfold it on any level surface, patio, yard, or deck, and you’re ready to grow.
- Eco-friendly plastic material & waterproof.
- It would be best if you were careful as the material is thin, and it may bend over. If you do not handle it gently, there is a risk of tearing.
5. VegTrug Herb Garden
- It is made of cedarwood. It helps to grow up to 8 different plants/herbs in separate compartments.
- He weighs 17 lbs and has an ideal working height
- Pre-formed replaceable liners included
- Lower storage shelf for tools
- Easy to build
- The compartmentalization helps to keep the herbs in separate pockets and thus makes them easy to grow and harvest.
- Sturdy and easy to assemble
- Lightweight, so easy to move around
- Easy to assemble but a little flimsy.
In conclusion, the raised garden bed keeps your backyard looking clean and orderly. They provide good drainage, so your plants don’t get their feet wet, making gardening more efficient and convenient. Plus, they are very easy for you to manage. The raised design keeps your plants contained and out of reach from animals or pesky bugs which might want to eat your hard work! We hope our list of raised garden beds made it easier for you to choose the best-raised garden bed that fits your needs!
Want to learn about how to create your own vertical garden planter?
What are the benefits of raised garden bed? What is good about raised garden beds?
Raised gardens offer many advantages over traditional in-ground gardening: The essential point is that the raised garden beds help provide proper drainage to plants. Raised beds also make it harder for animals and bugs to get into the raised area where you grow your food.
Should I put rocks in the bottom of my raised garden bed?
Rocks prevent raised garden beds from draining correctly. Instead, use a combination of soil and compost in the raised bed to give your plants better drainage for healthy growth!
What is the difference between regular potting soil and soil for raised beds?
Regular potting soil is fine in texture, whereas raised garden bed soils are not. This means raised beds require less water which makes them better for plants!
How often do you fertilize a raised garden bed?
Raised garden bed soil requires less fertilizer than regular soil. You only need to fertilize raised garden beds about once every six weeks to 3 months, depending on what you are growing.
How do I fill my raised garden bed? How do you fill a raised bed cheaply?
Are you wondering how to fill raised beds inexpensively? The raised garden bed can be with soil covering the top 40 % of the bed. The remaining 60%, you can fill with different things such as leftover vegetable cuttings, twigs, dried leaves, wastages from the garden, grass clippings, compost, etc., which are degradable.
How to master gardening? Download these essential home and gardening ebooks today!